Monday, March 11, 2013

Proclamation

With all the ideas swimming around in my head, I think it's best to introduce myself. Hi! My name is Kara, and I am inactive.  As in completely inactive. With my inactivity, combined with VERY poor dietary choices the past oh-let's say, seven years, I have gained a few pounds....and by few I mean I gained another person. Literally, in college I was half my weight I am now.  It was only up until my most recent vacation with my family, when showing the pictures after we got back - I noticed a woman in all the photos.  I wondered who the thick lady was constantly hugging my son or embracing my husband?  E-gads! It was me!  How did I let this happen?!  

After 7 years of up and down the scale, with painful aches after eating or overeating, I proclaimed at the end of 2012 that this would be different.  I hope to discover that girl/lady/woman I was years ago, and actually appreciate her for the first time.

So here it goes. A few colleagues introduced It Starts With Food, and decided to jump in feet first (not my typical toe testing water method).

Basically, for 30 days Mr. and I will eat nothing but whole food - nothing processed, sugary, or dairy.  I was really into it when we went grocery shopping - thinking and shouting out all the delicious healthy recipes we can make. I was really into it until last night when we were cleaning out the pantry, and everything I held up, I whined, "Wait - I can't eat this either?! What?" So it went on for four shelves worth of food.  It was painful to think about.  However, when I woke up this morning, I decided I would try to have a new attitude, because I was the one to proclaim I wanted to do this.  So with the support and guidance of Mr, and 3 co-workers, we are all on the 30 day challenge.

Instead of focusing on the things that I WON'T have, I probably should focus on what I will gain (or hope to gain).

I hope to gain a stronger positive self image

I hope to gain physical strength

I hope to gain an understanding of what my body needs

I hope rediscover my love of food - real food

(and perhaps a more selfish goal) I hope to fit into my clothes instead of feeling like a stuffed sausage

It's these five statements I should focus on, but the inability to eat ice cream or a handful of cookies.  Where does that leave me? Oh yeah - four pant sizes bigger.  Good grief!

On the first day of school last year, our superintendent (a lady I admired and loved) showed us a video to help motivate us to keep our spirits high. Living in a state that educators were under scrutiny, she wanted to let us know she supported us.  

Here's to not giving up! Here's to believing in yourself! I can do this. I can change. I want to be the best version of me. 



Here's to you! Here's to me! Here's to change!
Let this blog hold me accountable and hopefully add a little humor to this journey that lays ahead! 


3/11/13/231/37
G168

No comments:

Post a Comment